Saturday, November 28, 2009

Role of Social Networking in the Interior Design Profession

Sometimes people ask me about the Role of Social Networking in the Interior Design Profession. I always respond that it works in different ways for different people. Most London interior designers tend to ignore social media altogether, but I think that it is a great way to both connect with potential clients and to improve the public's knowledge about interior design in general. For example, many Londoners misunderstand interior design and seem to think it is just about pretty colours and beautiful fabrics. Similarly, I often feel that the public is confused about the differences between interior design and interior decoration or renovation. Social media interactions can be a great way to clear up this confusion.



In my opinion, social networking is a fabulous opportunity to connect with people who otherwise would never get to interact with a real interior designer. In this blog posting I'd like to tell you about some of the social networking websites that I'm on. Feel free to connect with me via any of these - or just send me email via my company's website.



* LinkedIn - this site is very business-focused and de-emphasises the "social" while maxing out the "network" aspect of things. I have established valuable business relationships within the interior design community via this site, though I would note that its membership seems more US-based, at least in my limited experience.


* Facebook - I was invited to join this popular social networking community just a few months ago, and it has exceeded my expectations in many ways. Many interior designers, surveyors and property managers have accounts on Facebook and it is a very dynamic and interesting community. I love to connect with people who are looking for interior design ideas or tips - both in London and beyond.


* Twitter - the newest social networking phenomenon, this can be a great tool for interior designers to get the message out about what they do. I mainly use Twitter to explore the latest trends and ideas from well beyond just the London interior design community. In the future I have big plans for how to use this site more deliberately in my day-to-day work. Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment