Sunday, November 22, 2009

As the Lead Interior Designer and Founder of Global Interior Design, I often receive

As the lead interior designer and founder of Global Interior Design, I often receive applications from designers or students who are seeking employment or internship opportunities. The autumn is always a busy season as graduating students start seeking interior design work, and I sometimes find myself deluged with applications from all over the world. Unfortunately many of these get eliminated from the selection process by my assistants or by our office manager because of their failure to follow a few simple guidelines. So with this blog post I hope to provide some advice for interior designers or students of interior design who may be seeking work. By sticking to these easy instructions, you can make sure that your application will get past the initial screening process and into my inbox.

1. Read this website! Whenever you apply to an interior design consultancy for work, you must read every word on their website to fully understand their focus areas, projects and design styles. If you miss out on this simple step, your application can seem generic and may well get eliminated immediately.

2. Do a spell-check! I instruct my office manager to immediately delete any applications that have egregious spelling errors or that seem confused about the name of our interior design consultancy.

3. Showcase your abilities. I always love to hear from applicants who have a natural flair for interior design. Include examples of your interior design portfolio and please be sure to discuss your coursework or experience in interior design.

4. Please don’t exaggerate the compliments. I appreciate it when job applicants compliment Global Interior Design on recent projects or mention how much they respect me as a thought leader in London’s interior design community. However, mentioning this repeatedly or overstating these facts can seem fawning or sycophantic.

That’s all! Good luck to all job applicants.
DECF5P8H8WN9

No comments:

Post a Comment