Friday, January 14, 2011

Strategies and Secrets from the Notebook of a London Bathroom Design Professional - Bedside Bathing

Strategies and Secrets from the Notebook of a London Bathroom Design Professional - Bedside Bathing

It wasn't until the 1800s that London residents began to ask bathroom design professionals to actually install fixed baths and handwash basins in what were then called "dressing rooms" or "cloakrooms." But even in those days, many of the more wealthy landed gentry would typically prefer to enjoy their weekly bath beside the bedroom fire. They kept asking their bathroom design team: "Why would I ever want to pay for having water piped into my home when I have servants who will carry it to my bedside for me?"


In my entire career as a London-based interior design professional, I have seen maybe just one or two of these antique portable bathtubs in residential settings. If you are very fortunate indeed, you might spot one in the corner of an ancient farmhouse that has been converted into a B&B in the Scottish Highlands. These days it will typically be kept only for historic or cultural reasons - these houses will have running water now that we're already in 2011!

No comments:

Post a Comment