Wednesday, December 2, 2009

How do you interpret the role of a London Interior Designer

A few days ago I received a phone call from a London interior design student who was doing a project on how interior designers approach design. I was pleased to be asked to represent the profession in this way. I thought the readers of this blog might be interested in my answers as well. It was a fairly long interview, so we're going to break it up into two separate blog postings. Part one:


How do you interpret the role of a London Interior Designer as an educator?


I love to teach, I like educating people ... in fact it is an important part of what interior designers do. I enjoy it immensely, whether I am teaching a student intern who is getting a first glimpse at London's interior design industry or a client who is employing an interior designer for the first time. It is always fun to watch the client evolve.


How do you interpret the role of the interior designer as a learner?


As an interior designer, I never stop learning. London is full of so many different styles, opinions and interpretations. Sometimes I need to inform myself to be able to explain the nuances of an interior design scheme to some of my more detail-orientated London clients. For example, I was recently working with a client in central London who wished to buy period furniture pieces. In this case, the client wanted to hear the entire interior design story - including the background. For example, Who was Chippendale? When did he create his furniture and for what type of interior design schemes? Who manufactured the originals? My clients also sometimes wish to hear about the current market, and occasionally that may require doing research on London furniture auctions. It is imperative to know the sales value of a piece, including why the client should make a given purchase and why it could be a valuable item to own in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment