Sunday, April 18, 2010

"Making a Splash!" Lessons from a London Bathroom Design Professional

"Making a Splash!" Lessons from a London Bathroom Design Professional


Multi-Surface Wall Creativity

London Bathroom Design

Why cover a wall with just one type of tile when a bathroom design project can be so much more? For this particular London residence, I decided that I really needed to minimise the number of walltiles - accordingly, I instructed my team to only tile the splash-protector zone surrounding the shower. The result was a more dynamic London bathroom design that could showcase more designer flair. One more thing - prior to tilework, my crew of creative London-based plumbers got to work to majorly redesign all of the underfloor piping. Thanks to their efforts, the bathroom design now features a much-enhanced drain-out profile. The water flows away just like a whirlpool spa!


A Classy Loo is Just the Ticket

"Drab to fab" is easier said than done! In bathroom design, sometimes one needs to just go for the high-end unit because only that will guarantee the authentic designer look that your client craves. For this particular high-end London bathroom project , we selected a luxury lavatory that slides right up to be fully flush with the back wall. This fine lav is a great option for a nice contemporary look, but it is critical to use a soft plastic flexi-pipe to suitably connect with the building's drainage system.

Say No to Sewer Rats!

In many London bathroom design projects, rats can be highly problematic. Not everyone realises how crafty these critters can be -they can easily clabber up many storeys of piping and get to within centimetres of your residence .... London sewer to flat in less than a minute! Eeek. This is not normally a problem but it can be a major issue when we need to use flexible piping to accommodate a classy back-to-wall lavatory unit for a high-end bathroom design as I described in my previous blog posting. Those razor-like claws can pop a major hole in flexible piping within seconds. I don't normally make product recommendations on this blog, but in this case I cannot overstate the fabulousness of the McAlpine Anti-Crossflow Rodent Barrier. This high-quality durable plastic system is a swivel-type one-way flap valve that guarantees water will flow out when the lavatory is flushed, but ensures that no rats can get into the system from the exterior building drainage piping. And at less than £20, it is a major value that no London bathroom design should be without!

A Delighted Client

This is the last blog posting in my series about a certain bathroom design project I worked on in Central London about a year ago. I hope you've enjoyed this deep-dive into the details on a few different "lessons learned" from the experience! All that remains is for me to reveal the ultimate output - great news, my client was completely thrilled when they saw their 100% redesigned London bathroom ! He would never have imagined how breathtaking the results could be - especially given the challenging original that we had to work with. I'm always delighted to share my design know-how with designers and enthusiasts alike, and I'm honoured when thought leaders in the industry ask me about my max-flair tips for bathroom design. Feel free to leave any thoughts/ideas in the comments! Thank you for reading. From Central London, this is Global Interior Design.

No comments:

Post a Comment