Sunday, April 18, 2010

Lessons from a London Interior Designer

Lessons from a London Interior Designer

Multicultural and Cosmopolitan Designs

Whenever I travel, I love meeting interior designers abroad to understand how their cultural heritage influences their work. Over the past decade, I have observed a real boost in Indian/Chinese/Japanese design influences in London's wealthiest neighbourhoods. Many interior designers in London are using international themes to create aesthetically pleasing and original work that can be breathtaking. I also see African elements in many of the upholstery and wallpaper styles that are available from London's best-known designer homecare boutiques today. There is always so much to see and learn, and this discovery process is really what I like best about my job.

Designing with Technology

New technologies keep popping up all over the place! The modern London interior designer

needs to know about the wide range of high-technology electronics and accessories that is available. But it goes well beyond the living room. I love to modernise homes and offices by installing futuristic fibre optic lighting arrays, bathroom warming lamps, touch-control showers and computerised security and air conditioning networks. Interior designers are increasingly expected to recommend home entertainment systems as well. Just the other day I had to update my knowledge of high-end living room luxury - from video-on-demand systems to Sky dishes, iPads and surround sound systems! I am as excited as ever to learn how the biggest technology trends will continue to impact London's top interior designers.

Starting a Blog about Interior Design

Not so long ago I was asked to reflect on what makes an effective interior designer blog. With this posting, I would like to reveal why I love to blog and why it might be good for you as well!

A top suggestion for any London interior designer who is considering starting their own blog: don't be shy, just do it! Of course, you won't suddenly be a thought leader with your first posting - it takes time - but anyone can put forward great ideas and provide inspiration for others. Probably the best way to start is to just put down a few comments on designs that you have already completed. If you work in London, try to attend an interior designer conference and blog about key points from the lectures or celebrated speakers.

How to Blog about Interior Design

My other hint for bloggers is to focus on areas of interior design that you consider engaging or interesting. For me, that means blogging about my role as an interior designer at Global Interior Design, my London-based interior design firm. I also enjoy sharing about difficulties that we come across and creative solutions that my team uses to guarantee fabulous results. Just looking at a few recent blogs of mine, I see postings on spa design, garden lighting, luxury bathrooms and outdoor swimming pools.

One last point: please do be certain to respond to reader comments on your blog. I'm always honoured to win compliments from my readers who enjoy my interior designer blog and feel inspired to beautify their own residences as a result. Occasionally, my readers will even use the comments fields to suggest fabulous ideas for subjects that I might wish to discuss in future postings!

No comments:

Post a Comment